Culture of Creativity
From where we are and how we work to who we admire and what inspires us, everything at Grey reflects a culture of creativity.
NO MEETING ZONE Thursday mornings from 9 to noon are a No Meeting Zone at Grey – three hours each week when we encourage everyone to do something challenging, new or unexpected. Introduce yourself to someone you don’t know. Read a section of the Times that you’ve always ignored before. Or simply spend time actually being creative instead of going to yet another meeting about the creative process. There are plenty of meetings the other 37 work hours of the week, after all.
- From the Brooklyn Bridge to the Golden Gate Our New York and San Francisco offices share one philosophical and creative roof. We believe on both coasts that game-changing ideas can come from anywhere. That 11th-hour brilliance isn’t an urban myth. And that each and every person within our walls brings unique talents and abilities to the table. In short, we’re a single agency that just happens to have a continent sitting between our two offices. East is East and West is West, but we don’t believe in that “never the twain shall meet” stuff around here.
The Heroic Failure Award “Failure,” Truman Capote wrote, “is the condiment that gives success its flavor.” Too true, Tru. Grey celebrates failures of daring and audacity with our quarterly Heroic Failures award. Better to attempt something astonishing and go down in flames than to gingerly hold back. Research has shown that innovation is best encouraged by embracing the importance of trying, failing, dusting yourself off, and trying again. So here’s to heroic failures– the glorious defeats that can make success itself look timid.
- Corkie Award Inspired by the cork walls where so much of our famously effective work is first presented, debated, revised and refined, the Corkie Award acknowledges the extraordinary level of collaboration required to bring innovative integrated campaigns to life for our clients. The Corkie Award is shared equally by all those involved with the project at every level and from every discipline– and comes with a fat cash prize the whole team gets to decide what to spend on together.
GRAVY Magazine We could talk about how creative, funny, smart, surprising and passionate the people are at Grey – or we could show it instead. That’s what Gravy Magazine does. With contributions from people in different departments all throughout our network, Gravy showcase Grey’s personality with spirit and style. It beats a boring creds deck any day. View Gravy Article
- GRAVY TALKS Gurus. Rebels. Pioneers. The mad, bad and dangerous to know. Visionaries of all stripes have presented Gravy Talks at Town Hall over the last few years. Gravy Talks is a speaker’s forum dedicated to provocative, eye-opening discussions sparked by speakers ranging from chief marketing officers to Pulitzer Prize-winning authors. Come. Listen. Question. Learn.
The rooftop You never know just where the next famously effective idea will come from. Inspiration might strike outdoors on the rooftop terrace in the shadow of the Flatiron and the Empire State Building.
- The Distillery The rapid evolution of technology in marketing has influenced how we think and how we create. The Distillery is Grey’s first lab and think space, where the latest hardware, software and platforms live for our teams and clients to experience them first hand. 45-day exhibits showcase leading partners in the technology space including MakerBot, LEAP, Metaio, Tumblr and Estimote, with hands on demos, learning sessions and hands-on creative challenges. Other highlights include a hardware library, 3D Printing equipment and an open-door space to work and be creative.
The corkwall It might happen at The Wall, the big corkboard on the second floor that serves as the physical equivalent of an online message board where all ideas are out in the open and up for debate.
- The bed Inspiration might even strike in Tor Myhren’s bed. Yes, that’s right – Tor’s actual bed sits in a glass-enclosed room in the midst of the agency’s busiest workspace, just the place for those who do their best thinking with a pillow beneath their heads.
Healthy Grey Back in the Advertising Jurassic when Mad Men roamed the earth, ‘healthy’ meant being sure to eat the olives in each of your three martinis. All these eons later, health and wellness are now essential to our culture. Creativity thrives on the clarity and confidence that come with good health—physical, mental, social and emotional. Yoga, softball, basketball, reflections on mindfulness, tips on healthy eating—you’ll find all these and more on offer at Grey.
- The Healing Power of Creativity Self-expression, storytelling and other creative pursuits can be healing and life-enhancing for all people. The Healing Power of Creativity is the theme that inspires our pro bono work, connecting people at Grey with the people who can benefit the most via a year-long calendar of events. One current initiative is our partnership with Womanity, a women's rights organization that focuses on gender equality around with world.