For the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, the audio platform SoundCloud used its own features and tools to create an audio visual memorial for the victims of the Berlin Wall. A more than 7 minute long experience, made from original propaganda of German Democratic Republic politicians, voices of border guards – embedded in sounds and frequencies to make you not just remember the events, but feel them.
SoundCloud’s headquarter is located on the former site of the Berlin Wall. Without the fall of the Wall SoundCloud wouldn’t exist.
SoundCloud used its own channel for this unusual memorial to reach out for a young generation, which is typical for SoundCloud. A generation, which doesn’t really remember the tragic events of the Berlin Wall. On TV you hardly get this target group.
We recreated the Berlin Wall with sound. Typical for SoundCloud is that you see the audio wave form of the music. Core idea was an audio track with a sound wave form exactly mirroring the shape of the former Berlin Wall. The sound track is 7:32 minutes long, which is the exact time sound needs to travel the 155 kilometers of the original Berlin Wall. Tagged on the timeline of the track are not the typical SoundCloud-typical user comments but the victims of the Wall and the circumstances, time and place of their death. The Berlin Wall of Sound was the global landing page of SounCloud for one week.
- Cannes Lions 2015 - Grand Prix Radio (Use of Sound Design)
- Cannes Lions 2015 - Gold Cyber (Use of Music/Sound Design)
- Cannes Lions 2015 - Silver Branded Content & Entertainment (Original Use of Music) Radio (Use of Branded Content/Programming)
- NYF 2015 - Bronze Branded Entertainment Craft Sounddesign
- NYF 2015 - Silber Digital Craft Music/Sound Design
- D+AD Gala 2015 Bronze Digital Marketing / Digital Adverts / Crafts for Advertising / Sound Design & Use of Music for Digital Marketing
- The One Show 2015 Gold UX/UI Data & Human Experience – Online Data Visualization & Infographics